Monday, April 4, 2011

Revenge of the Living Visa-Renewal Process

Today was going to be THE DAY I finished my visa paperwork. We were supposed to meet Marina at 2 in the main building to do our paperwork. I slept until 12, and then got a text saying we weren't meeting her until 3. So I hurried up and got dressed, so that I could make it to my 1240 class for the first hour. And then Marina confirms, via text, that it was at 2. I go back to my room for an hour. We meet, and I assume that this process would take 20-30 minutes, and I could go to the last half of class. I was wrong. After over an hour of Marina working on it, I figured I wouldn't make it to class today. I'm starting to miss class. Apparently our final is May 16th, which means I have a month in Moscow to just putz around doing things and visiting other places. Also, apparently the dean forgot another paper of mine. Only of mine. I was the first to start this process, and the last to get it done. Luckily, it isn't a *very* important paper, so one of the boys is picking it up for me, and I get to drop it off tomorrow. Yay.

Although, I do stand corrected. Apparently it is harder to get an American visa than I thought. Oleg wants to visit me in November or December, and I'm trying to figure out the visa process to get him there. Apparently the US assumes all visitors plan on staying, so, you have to prove no only that you have enough money to support yourself while visiting with bank statements, but also that you have reasons to return to your home country (an apartment lease, a job, etc.) Also, they have something called a reciprocity fee, where visitors have to pay the difference between how much a visa to their country costs and how much an American visa costs. Which is silly, because they wouldn't give a discount if it was cheaper. But hopefully the darling will visit me in December once I finish with school.

No comments:

Post a Comment